Local Administration Department functions as a bridge between the Local Bodies and the Government.
The Directorate is headed by the Director, Local Administration. The Director is designated as the ex-officio Joint Secretary (Local Administration). The Director is assisted by four Deputy Directors:
- Deputy Director (Local Administration)
- Deputy Director for Municipal Administration
- Deputy Director for Rural Development
- Deputy Director (Vital Statistics)
Deputy Director (Municipal Administration)
Deputy Director (Municipal Administration) is in charge of the five Municipalities of Puducherry.
Deputy Director (Rural Development)
Deputy Director (Rural Development) is the Head of Office for the Directorate of Local Administration and is designated as the ex-officio Under Secretary (Local Administration). Deputy Director (R.D) is in charge of the ten Commune Panchayats and 98 Village Panchayats.
Deputy Director (Vital Statistics)
Deputy Director (Vital Statistics) has been designated as Additional District Registrar.
- Assistant Director (Administration) is the Section Officer for Accounts Section, Establishment Section & Grants – In – Aid Section.
- Assistant Director (Common Service) is the Section Officer for Policy and Programme Section which deals with Legislation Matters and Other Policy Matters relating to local bodies.
Engineering Wing is headed by Superintending Engineer and assisted by the Executive Engineer. The Executive Engineer is in-charge of supervision of all the Civil Works executed by the Panchayats in Pondicherry Region. Executive Engineer accords technical sanction to the estimates prepared by the Commune Panchayats for the execution of civil works and also supervises the execution of civil works.
The Directorate has a branch Office in Karaikal and is headed by Deputy Director (Local Administration).
Functions of the Department
- Acts as Controlling Department for all Local Bodies.
- Formulation of policies and new programmes for better governance of Local Bodies.
- Approval of Budget and Shelf of Projects of Local Bodies.
- Release of grants-in-aid to Local Bodies to take up works for providing basic civic amenities.
- Reviewing the progress of execution of works and Revenue Collection by Local Bodies.
- According Administrative approval and Expenditure sanctions to the proposals of local bodies wherever the financial powers delegated to Local Bodies exceeds.
- Inspecting the Local Bodies and works executed by the Local Bodies.
- Consolidation of Annual Administration Reports of Local Bodies and submission to Government.
Local Bodies in Puducherry
At present, there are 5 Municipalities, 10 Commune Panchayats and 98 Village Panchayats in the Union Territory of Puducherry. The region wise break up of Local Bodies in the Union Territory of Puducherry is given below:
Details of Municipalities and Commune Panchayats
|District||Municipality||Commune Panchayat|| Village